Reality (was: RE: Made to Swear Fealty)

Mjccmc01 at aol.com Mjccmc01 at aol.com
Tue Jun 10 13:41:45 PDT 1997

Hi Aquilanne.  Siobhan here.

I agree with you that people often need a reality check, but I don't think
that has much to do with the SCA.  Think of the blood feuds that result over
PTA elections, Little League games, cheerleader tryouts, etc.  (remember the
Texas mom who contracted a hit on her daughter's cheerleading rival's mother,
hoping her daughter's competitor would be too devastated to compete?)

The point I'm making is these people obviously have a need to live their
lives in this fashion, and if they aren't doing it in the SCA, they're
probably doing it somewhere else.  The SCA may make it easier to escape
reality since we get to "make up new people," but I think the inclination is
pretty much there long before they ever find us.

I think what Galen is trying to say, and of course I can't speak for him, is
that you can view your actions (and their consequences) as serious and
important without falling into the category of "one foot out of the stirrup."

So, what are your thoughts on the appropriate way to deal with these gentles
who are out of the saddle?  Benign neglect until they start pooping in
sandboxes other than their own?  Unfortunately, the condition seems to compel
them to do so on a fairly frequent basis.  BTW, if anyone has a
compassionate, effective way to deal with these "over-involved" people that
really, truly works -- write a book, make an infomercial, do seminars and
retire.

Fondly,
Siobhan