Brewing/Vintning in Ansteorra

William E. Cole wec1 at airmail.net
Sun Jun 8 21:54:49 PDT 1997

Pug Bainter wrote:
> > Texas
> > § 109.21. Home Production of Wine, Ale, Malt Liquor, or Beer
> > (a) The head of a family or an unmarried adult may produce for the use
> > of his family or himself not more than 200 gallons of wine, ale, malt
> > liquor, or beer, per year. No license or permit is required.
>
> Note that there is a small problem with this. The head of the family can
> do it. This means only one of the people in a household can. As well, it
> can only be a "him". (Technically.)

Hmmm....seems kinda sexist, doesn't it? Thought sex descrimination was
illegal? Here's a state law that implies that a `head of a house' can
only be a male. Looks like this law needs to be updated...and as long as
we're at it, why not have them add a "unless you're in the SCA, in which
case anything is ok as long as the king declares it ok" to the law?
Think the lawmakers in Austin would go for it? (maybe if some of the
mead makers sent a few "samples" to Austin....

Just another random thought that walked through my brain...

William FitzBane