NEW TOPIC! "Great Books for the SCA Tradition"

SOC STUDIES camlewis at swbell.net
Tue Jun 10 21:39:58 PDT 1997

Mjccmc01 at aol.com wrote:

> In the interest of the prevention of cruelty to dead horses:
>
> There's always been a lot of debate about what books are essential reading
> for a "cultured, educated" person.  What books do you view as vital reading
> for "cultured, educated" SCA members?  Include both period and non-period
> works, and try to strive for works that have a somewhat broad scope (i.e.,
> "costuming"as opposed to "techniques of finishing sleeve hems in East
> Slovonia during the Great Famine of 1132.")  Don't forget to include
> literature.  So, pick a book (or several) and defend your choice.
>
> Frantically trying to narrow down her list,
>
> Siobhan

Thank you for the new topic...

"Etiquette for Renaissance Gentlemen" is my first pick
by Baldesar Castiglione, Penguin ISBN 0-14-600174-5   95 cents U.S.

It is CHEAP and a very good insight into the Renaissance school of
thought for upper class men.  It was written in 1528 and covers topics
on love, war, women, politics, art,and religion...

Good for stick jocks...only 60 pages...might even help people find out
how to get along with each other, who knows?

Bunny....oooops

ALREK KANIN