tegan's answer

tegan at swbell.net tegan at swbell.net
Tue Jun 10 21:56:58 PDT 1997

Maybe you missed it in my original answer but I did specifically say I
did not blame the SCA for this Sargents obsession and confusion. I only
used the example as a cautionary tale and I did in fact term this person
as an "extreme example".I only wished to point out that these people do
indeed exist in the SCA.
I too love the SCA and have found it to be a wonderful experience. I
have found time in my life for other pursuits as well.
What confuses me, is how a gentlemen who values his oath to a crown that
can be won by anyone who excells in the chivalric art over his oath to
protect and serve his country is being brought up to me as a good
example.
As an ex-military member and coming from a family who has lost at least
one member to every war this country has fought in the last two
centurys (which by the way is how I know I have no hidden fighting
talents) I can't even imagine entertaining the idea that an oath
that I had given in the context of a historical recreation society
could in any way put me in danger of being forced to divulge
military secrets.
Now please don't try to lecture me on oaths. I take the oath of
marriage that I made to my husband before god very very seriously
and anyone who  knows my husband Wolfgang will attest to the fact
that fealty to the crown is a piece of cake compared to this. I took
my military oath very seriously ,there were times it stunk big time
but I stuck it out.
My whole point in the original posting was to point out the importance
of balancing out both the SCA and nonSCA parts of a persons life.
I have been around long enough to know that this obbsessive behavior can
wrap itself around whatever it is attracted to (church,sports,clubs
ect.) But the topic was the SCA I believe.
The other point I wished to make was that very many of the unkind words
I have heard voiced in the past could have been targeted at someone
deeply troubled. As I said before please be kind.

                   Tegan Rhos
               "Let it go "