A couple of reality argument remarks

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Jun 11 07:01:04 PDT 1997

Hi Galen. Aquilanne here.

>>I think Nabokov was merely posing the philosophical question of "what's
>>reality anyway?" My quoting him is just a concessionary gesture to the
>>questionable nature of the word.
>
>Maybe it's a failing in me, but I don't have questions about what reality
>is.  I'm pretty sure I know.

Now you're scaring me. ;->

>This thread started with what I took to be a suggestion (not made by you)
>that being "too deeply involved" (by someone's definition) in the SCA
>indicated a lack of ability to perceive or cope with reality.  As I said
>when I started, separating SCA from real life is one of my hot-button
>issues.

All the more reason to practice objectivity. Many people (not aluding to you
here) don't realize that it's necessary to have a thorough and objective
understanding of the opposting viewpoint in order to make the strongest
argument--although sometimes acquiring a clear view of the opposing
viewpoint reveals a weakness in one's own argument (maybe even resulting in
changing positions, if only slightly); it's a chance any lucid person takes
upon entering into an argument.

>I only met you briefly, once, several years ago at a Bryn Gwlad Yule
>Revel, so I can only judge by what I see on this list; I don't see any
>great difficulty with your understanding of reality.

>I knew we could get to this point all along.  That's why I love arguing.

I rather figured we were at this point to begin with, albeit approaching
from slightly different angles. Semantics can be difficult to navigate
around. Argument, by definition based on its root word, means to clarify
(although you can argue all you want at a stick of butter and it just sits
there). I, too, enjoy arguing. Just wish I was a little better at it.

Until we argue again,
Aquilanne