NEW TOPIC! "Great Books for the SCA Tradition"

njones at ix.netcom.com njones at ix.netcom.com
Wed Jun 11 14:24:10 PDT 1997

Hi friends,

I only have a few favorite books to add to the disucssion,
unlike some...[Hi Gunnora!]

These are from memory, so please forgive me.  My copies of
these books disappeared during my last move.  *sigh*

"Two Memoirs of Renaissance Florence", ed. and transleated
by Gene Brucker.  A very revealing look at two very different
men from Renaissance Florence, both of whom wrote diaries.
Very interesting read, quite exciting in parts, and contains
footnotes explaing nifty stuff like the weight of gold in a
florin, ducat and such, and it's equivalent in 1976 dollars.

"Renaissance Society", ed and translated by Gene Brucker.
Also a very cool book taken from period court transcripts,
diaries and other sources.  Takes the form of brief excerpts
organized on different topic areas like sex, marriage, death,
and others.

"The Autobiography of Benevunto Cellini."  Cellini was a
wonderful goldsmith, but one of the best gifts he left us
was his diary.  Probably embellished a bit (okay, maybe more
than a bit) by the author, it is a wonderful look into the
life of the late Renaissance.  It's a wonderful read, and
often very funny and exciting!

much regard,
Gio.