SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Tyrca at aol.com Tyrca at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 05:42:22 PDT 1997

     I can tell a few ideas.  I have lived in the fair Barony of Namron for
about 18 months, and feel completely integrated.  Part of the reason is our
current Hospittler, m'lord Lineus Cocteau.  He is enthusiastic, and very
friendly.  And he doesn't limit himself to just greeting interested people at
fighter practice and populace meetings.  He co-ordinates all the demos we do,
maintains a list of interested people with their name, address, and phone
number, and contacts them at times to invite them to things of interest.
Sometimes (especially after the Medieval Faire, which is our largest
recruiting activity) he organizes a Newcomer's event, where the rest of us
can show up and meet the new people in the Barony. He keeps a supply of local
newsletters and gives one to everyone he meets.  And upon finding interests
in his newcomers, he makes an effort to introduce them to someone in the
group that might have the same interest.
     I think that we have to remember that it is not always the newcomer that
may be timid.  I have participated in the Society for more than 16 years, and
yet there are times that I cannot address new people that I see.  It is
difficult to speak to strangers.  I don't want to make excuses, but I
understand timidity.
     I know we are not very close to Stargate, or even Bryn Gwlad, but I
would invite you to find Namronites.  I have found them to be very welcoming
and comfortable to new people.  Maybe when we are all at some large event, we
can make acquaintance, and you can see what I mean.  I hope that these
discussions are helpful in getting you more information wherever you are.  As
to Lineus, he is ours, and you can't have him!!

Lady Tyrca Ivarsdottir, Barony of Namron, Ansteorra