Next Generation

DAFPIG at aol.com DAFPIG at aol.com
Mon Jun 16 12:58:09 PDT 1997

Greetings Everyone,

I haven't commented before about the subjects the group talks about but feel
I must put my"two cents" in about this subject.

While I cann't defend all "oldtimers", I can say that after a while, we do
get "burned out".  ...Ok..Ok... wait until I'm done before you crucify me
 :-)........

There have been numerous times when Daffydd and myself have tried to assist
interested persons into the SCA.  While a few of these people have stayed to
enjoy the game,many more have not.  I cannot begin to tell you the number of
Known World newcomers handbooks ,not to mention garb, feast
gear,armor,weapons  ect.. that we have lost over the years.  This may sound
like whinning to you, but this hobby is expensive enough already without the
extra "wandering"  expensives.

So you say.. don't loan it out or what about your hospitilars office?...
We have a wonderful hospitalar that works very hard on recuriting new
members.  We also hail from a small group with very limited funds and extras.
  The group tries to have enough on hand to loan out but those items
sometimes have a strange way of walking away also.  It can be difficult to
rapidly replace these items.

Let's forget the material things.......let's talk about the "personal
touch"....

I wholeheartedly agree that newcomers should be greeted and made to feel
wanted.  Everyone needs to feel accepted.
But some folks are better about speaking to strangers than others.  Contray
to popular belief, I am very shy and feel uncomfortable around people I don't
know.  While I work very hard at this "quirk", many times I just don't feel
up to it.  Now if that makes me a BAD OLDTIMER well so be it.!  I'm willing
to bet that there are many of us out there.

This reminds me of a time where a new family moved into our group.  The lady
was greatly offended that SIR Daffydd did not immediately introduce himself
to her.  Of course, he was fighting at the time and did say hello after he
was done.  She thought that because he was a "ranking" player that he should
stop everything to pander to them.  By not doing so ,he was being rude and
stuck up...excuse me???...but Daffydd rude,stuckup????  Clueless maybe but
never stuckup!    It doesn't take many of these folks to "burn" you out.

I believe that there is no"fault" to this time old problem.  We all, old
timers and new, have to make an effort.  If a person is really gunho they
will find a way.  This has been proved by the many "New timers" (no offense
:-) ) that have written on this subject.

Let's quit blaming each other and do the best we can,......After all we do
this for the fun.

HL Octavia de Verdon

Ok...Now you guys can tear me apart.  <G>