Learning, BOI

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Mon Jun 16 14:20:28 PDT 1997

I have received two e-mail messages saying that I shouldn't ask about
the Board of Inquiry proceedings.  I don't recall doing so, tho I
could be forgetting.  All I recall is asking in amazement what the
half-life of the controversy was (more than twenty years, it appears).
If I did ask, and I might have, it appears I won't find out.

I *would* like to deal with a larger issue without touching on the
specifics of the BOI.  If a matter is kept completely quiet, how do we
learn to deal with similar situations in the future?

Someone once posted on the Rialto about their experience.  Someone
else had become an officer and misappropriated assets for their own
use.  When this was revealed publicly, it turned out that they'd been
cited for it several times before.  Each occurrance had been kept so
quiet that the problem could recur.

Interkingdom Anthropology: The Middle had two Major Fusses in its
early years, but they are still mentioned occasionally and there are
published histories.  They were "fortunate" in one, in that Michael of
Boarshaven's last act upon abdication was to betray his last
supporter, so there wasn't a factional division about the results.
The Dark Horde disagreements *were* factional, though they've long
since been healed (and one of the major antagonists, Bob Asprin, has
also left).

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com