Board of Inquiry

Gunnora Hallakarva gunnora at bga.com
Mon Jun 16 22:59:14 PDT 1997

Since the Board of Inquiry was in fact a public proceeding, records are
held in the Kingdom and Corporate files.  If you really want to know all
the dirt (most of regarding folks you've never met and who have dropped
pretty permanently out of view, others who are still very active) then
check the Kingdom Seneschal's files, the Historian's office, or contact the
Corporate office.

I agree with Clare that this is not the forum for such discussion, not
because it should be hidden, but more because it has no relevance to the
here-and-now and in fact, most of the people howling for other's blood have
drifted off to Never-Never land.

There are similar sordid stories in any SCA group's files, I'd wager.  I
know Bjornsborg had problems in the Bad Old Days and I'd guess that other
groups had the same.  There was a bad problem in the SCA Dark Ages for
people to get mad at someone, then instead of going to that person, they'd
begin a letter-writing campaign.  And sometimes the FIRST letter went
direct to the BoD.

Let me reiterate for those who do not know the proper SCA grievance
procedure, if you have a problem with someone, talk to them first.  If  you
are too stressed out to talk face to face, send them a note... a *signed*
note, not an anonymous hate letter, thank you very much.  If communicating
with the person doesn't get results, you may go up a step... to their
friends or your friends if it is private matter (i.e., seek a mediator, not
someone to throw gasoline on the fire).  If you are having problems with an
SCA officer or noble, you go to their superior, and cc: a copy of the
letter to the person you are complaining about ALWAYS.  If this does not
resolve the matter, you keep going up as necessary.

The failure to follow this procedure was, in my opinion, the whole cause of
the utterly unecessary Board of Inquiry.  As I said, for more details, go
to the records... and do be sure to read all sides.

Matters such as the BoI would make excellent material for someone working
on a Master's in History.  I personally plan, if I live long enough to do
this, to do a history of Bjornsborg from the official papers and interviews
etc. if I ever get to the point where I can do a masters.

Wæs Þu Hæl (Waes Thu Hael)

::GUNNORA::

Gunnora Hallakarva
Herskerinde
Ek eigi visa þik hversu oðlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Aðal
(Ek eigi thik hversu odhlask Lofstirrlauf-Kruna heldr hversu na Hersis-Adhal)