A tale from the Elder Days (long)

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 17 08:57:57 PDT 1997

A sort of offshoot from some other conversations I thought I'd share this
with you.

        When I was young in these lands, I lived in a small shire in the
south that was known in those days as Bjornsberg, Bjornsburg and
occaisionally as Bearsfort.  It was a small but study shire who had
survived small petty wars and were at last trying to be a community.
Southwards, was the Barony of the Stargate under Baron Myrddin ap Rhys who
had disappeared for many years visiting Europe.  Up North was the Barony of
the Steppes that had been two groups and were now one under Allemandus
Draconis, their Baron.  It was a new time and a new land.  These three
groups had been working together and being somewhat distant from the
capital of Atenveldt, the Country which they were in, felt that they could
do more and be more than three separate and distant groups.  So the leaders
of all these groups agreed to meet in Bjornsburg to discuss this union.
They called this moot The Collegium. Each group, each large household was
given one vote and the purpose was to decide what to do with the region.
The groups were allowed to send two representives to have a vote and the
households one. (I can't remember this part to well since I wasn't in a
household and I wasn't a major figure back then.  (Or even a minor)    One
of the members of Bjornsburg at this time was an Architect who loaned used
his office in the histoprical part of downtown.  The office was old stone
with these great wooden double doors that were 16th century Spanish.  They
stood about 14 feet high.  On the day of the Collegium many of us had gone
to act as hosts and go fers and such.  It was a MArch day and very misty,
overcast and somewhat chill.  It was really raining just drizzling enough
to coat everything with this fine droplets of water.
                As people came in a herald stood and anounced them .. (you
know... the Household of the Burning Trees, Lady Althea Gloria of Tyne,
yada yada yada.)  I was sitting in the back watching when something occured
that kinda confirmed  my idea of the MYTH in a big way.  Sort of an
Architypal image...
        The herald announces.... The Clan Cadal with its chieftain, Willow
de Wisp.  In walkes this huge group of men and women cloaked in plaids with
spears, everything coated with this fine mist that caught the light and
sparkled.  Willow came in first with her boar spear (really was) with furs
and a plaid.
Even over 20 years it remains a vivid picture to me and I am grateful I saw it.

Got to thiking about old times and wanted to share a good moment.

Clare R. St. John, who's feeling old today.