SCA's NEXT GENERATION

amazing at mail.utexas.edu amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 17 10:40:13 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel ici.

Ghia cites my
>>>...when you invite someone
>to a newcomer's revel or newcomer's class or newcomer's
>quasi-medieval-whatsiwhoosis, you label that someone as a "newcomer."  Once
>you've been so labeled, it seems an eternity before anyone will take you
>seriously. <<

and replies:
>You must have had a bad experience.  I've never seen that problem in my neck
>of the woods.  In fact, most of the time, newcomers are, as I've mentioned
>before, smothered with affection.  Us 'oldies' rush to be the first ones to
>answer the questions, we rush to be the first ones to discover the new
>person's interests and help them find their medieval niche, we 'oldies'
>practically make it a competition.  Most of the newcomers I've dealt with are
>assimilated completely by their third SCA-related meeting.  Mwoo-ha ha ha.
> Ummm, I mean.....
>
>Anyway, as for being taken seriously, what did you mean?  I would listen with
>a grain of salt to any new person who thought they had the ideal solution to
>the an on-going shire feud.  But I would *listen*, after all, they have a
>different perspective and might see something we don't.  And I would never
>patronize, condescend to, or belittle someone just because they are new to
>the SCA.  And furthermore, how many of you who know me have *ever* seen me
>take *anything* seriously?  Larkin?  Marthe?  Cad?  Nope?  Didn't think so.

No, I didn't personally have a bad experience, but no one ever labeled me a
"newcomer."  I started in a small but rapidly growing group.  Since
everyone there was fairly "new," few were in a position to pretend to
superior experience.  Once you'd been to an event, as far as we were
concerned, you were a part of the populace (whether you wanted to be or
not).   Occasionally, however, in various parts of the Known World, I've
heard the complaint "they still treat me like a newbie," especially in
areas chock full of established players (note I did not say "fogeys").

Not being  taken seriously:

"She wants to run an event.  By herself.  She doesn't understand how hard a
job it is."

"He wants to hold office.  This job involves a lot of responsibility.  We
can't just turn it over to a newbie"

"She wants to start a guild.  Who does she think she is?"

"He wants to teach a class.  Sheesh.  Does he know anything yet?"

I've also seen would-be fighters and artists (I'm not saying HERE, mind)
who couldn't get access to a teacher because the peers were all busy with
more advanced students.  (Why the more advanced students weren't taking on
students themselves, I don't understand, but that's another problem.)

Y'r obed'nt s'r'v'nt

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at AUstin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist

That's right, you're not from Texas, but Texas wants you anyway.

--Lyle Lovett