Learning from the past

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Tue Jun 17 16:06:09 PDT 1997

Katrionna MacLochlainn wrote:
> Sure, there are things in this game that are *meant* to be
> confidential - like what goes on in peer circles, or what's going
> to happen that night in court!

The Society Seneschal was in Dallas for a BoD meeting a few years ago.
Baron Edwin hosted a discussion at his house on Sunday, on the
philosophy of the Society and such.  (Seneschal AElflaed was the
editor of "Thinkwell", a general discussion newsletter.)  Mistress
Adelicia mentioned in passing how someone in a circle passed on
information to a potential candidate, and AElflaed was shocked that
there was a breach of confidentiality.  Other peers there chimed in
that it did sometimes happen and was often a Good Thing, and AElflaed
stared at us like we'd all grown three heads.

As for what will happen: a real Crown, HM Queen Elizabeth II of the
UKoGBaNI, has her people mail notification of upcoming awards to each
recipient, and each recipient can then decide whether they wish to
receive it or not.  In the rare cases that they don't, they notify the
royal officials and nothing more is heard of it -- it was handled
quietly and privately, without public refusal or a "think fast"
problem.  I often think this would be a better model for the SCA.  Or
perhaps the Crown / Baron/ess summon the person into private audience
and offer the award to be given later, and the recipient has a chance
to refuse, to change into better clothing for court, to ask that it be
put off until Foomass when their S.O. can be there, or whatever.

Note that surprise peerages don't happen any more -- surprise
*offers*, but not elevation.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com