Learning from the past

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Wed Jun 18 14:47:53 PDT 1997

At 04:06 PM 6/17/97 -0700, you wrote:

[cutting sounds]

>As for what will happen: a real Crown, HM Queen Elizabeth II of the
>UKoGBaNI, has her people mail notification of upcoming awards to each
>recipient, and each recipient can then decide whether they wish to
>receive it or not.  In the rare cases that they don't, they notify the
>royal officials and nothing more is heard of it -- it was handled
>quietly and privately, without public refusal or a "think fast"
>problem.  I often think this would be a better model for the SCA.  Or
>perhaps the Crown / Baron/ess summon the person into private audience
>and offer the award to be given later, and the recipient has a chance
>to refuse, to change into better clothing for court, to ask that it be
>put off until Foomass when their S.O. can be there, or whatever.
>
>Note that surprise peerages don't happen any more -- surprise
>*offers*, but not elevation.
>
>--
>Daniel de Lincoln
>Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com

When I was offered a Pelican, Their Majesties called me to them privately
to discuss it with me--much like the mail notification above. So the
announcement that evening at court was a surprise to everyone but about
half a dozen folks (excluding the Pelicans, of course). I really liked
that. It gave me the chance to plan a ceremony that was just right for me
(and gave my friends a chance to come up with a really cool dress).
However, all the rest of my awards have been surprises, and I really like
*that*. I guess my take on it is, if I have to look really good (like for a
peerage), I want to know about it far enough in advance that I don't make a
fool of myself; otherwise, not.

Aethelyan