Badges and Terms

Angus mac Taggart/Rik Packham aquinas at eden.com
Thu Jun 19 08:19:05 PDT 1997

>true I know the symbols/arms but I wouldn't know where
>to look for them on a person wearing them..."can you stand there for a
sec
>while I look for the right symbol on you?"-assuming I know what I'm
>looking for.

You are right, IF an individual is wearing his/her badge of office there is
not just one location that the official will be wearing it (or type of
badge, for that matter). It may be a cloth badge attached to a baldric, a
strip of cloth that hangs from the officials belt, a metal pendant on a
silver necklace. And not meaning to put the blame strictly on the newcomers
(for it is EVERYONES role to bring in newcomers, including the newcomers
themselves), but as you are looking for the hospitaler or the seneschal or
the herald (which are far more visible and most of the time more hearable)
ask some of the people that are standing around. Say, "I'm a newcomer, and
I am in search of the (_fill-in-the-blank_)."

It may be difficult to spot a newcomer, especially at an event where you
have people coming from other baronies, shires, colleges, and such. While
it is easier to spot someone who has been in the society for awhile (again,
I'm not placing any blame for the 'newcomer issue'). If you see someone
walking by where a brass-hat (coronet, circlet, crown, what-have-you) flag
her/him down for some help. Rarely have I seen the nobility turn down
someone in need. Who knows, you may have just started a wonderful
friendship with the 'right-kind-of-people' :-)

Again, going back to a previous post, this is far from a final answer to
the issue of newcomers. Instead it is but one solution of many that will
eventually (I hope) bridge the gap between a newcomer and the host of
'oldtimers' that make up the S.C.A.

Look at it from this point: if you went to a bar for the first time; a
indy-car race for the first time; to a beach where they have surfing; a
field where there is a bunch of people playing a sport you want to play;
what do you do?

In search of an answer (like there is just ONE answer ;-)

Angus