Covery

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 20 19:58:05 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

My name is Lyonel, and I am a herald.

In a recent missive, Angus took note of my signature:

>> Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, recovering herald
>> _____________________________

And claimed:
>Hey! There ain't no such thing as a recovering herald! Once you get the
>disease, your hooked for life! I mean, really, how can you recover from a
>terminal disease any how?

It's only terminal if you don't survive the reign.  For this reason,
baronial heralds are in greater danger than Crown heralds.  Consulting
heralds, however--well, I can't use that kind of language on the list ;^>

As for "hooked for life," c'est vrai, but that's what the Herald's Anonymous
12-step program is all about.  You're never an ex-herald, Angus, but it's a
promising sign that you realize this.  It shows you've gotten past that
I-can-quit-whenever-I-feel-like-it stage.  We all know how that goes.  First
it's "Hey, I'll just blazon my friend's arms.  I'm a big boy.  I know my
consultation limits.  I can handle this one little single-charge blazon."
Next you're trying to support putting some egotistical fighter's weird-ass
12th century Inca surgical tool on his arms or digging through the reference
section of the UT library looking for your girlfriend's surname; before you
know it you're strung out on onomastics trying to score a Fox-Davies from
the trash receptacle at Half-Price Books.

We understand, Angus.  We're there for you, brother.  The fact that you
realize you have a problem proves there is still hope!

Taking this whole thing one tincture at a time, je reste

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace, recovering herald.
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

Things are more like they are today than they have ever been before.
                                                  --Dwight D. Eisenhower

(Don't Republicans say just the cutest things?)