Learning from the past

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Sun Jun 22 14:09:57 PDT 1997

Daniel de Lincoln notes:

>Note that surprise peerages don't happen any more -- surprise
>*offers*, but not elevation.

The last one that I heard of was about five years ago in the East.
Baron Murdock of Andubdagean (no, I can't spell it; if you learded to
spell it they made you Senescal, a bullet that I continue to duck)
was returning from a Christmas vacation with his wife and three
children to visit his family in Irland. His wife insisted that they
had to go to Twelth Night, so they left the airport and went directly
to the site.  They informed him of the knighting when he got there.

I can only imagine what he must have been thinking the next morning
"was I Knighted last night, or was it just a Jet Lag induced dream".

Aelfric of Alburn
Black Oak Keep