My Magic Moment

Mark Wallace blackfox.mwal at webzone.net
Mon Jun 23 21:04:49 PDT 1997

Greetings unto the members of the list from Master William Blackfox:

involve poor visibility.  They do seem to revolve around bagpipes, though,
don't they?  So does mine.

	Aaaaallllrightee, then.  NSTIW, Pennsic 19, after the thursday evening
bagpipe seminar.  We managed to get about 6 pipers together along with a
motley assembly of drums, bohdrans, dumbeks, etc.  We started marching
around in the general merchanting area and nearby camps.
	Being thursday, the dancers were having their masked ball.  We were all
feeling froggy so we sauntered up to the barn and asked to speak with one of
the dance masters and offered to play for "Road to the Isles".
	When the Known World Dance Band (gotta hear 'em to appreciate 'em) took 5,
we formed up at the barn door and struck up a short march. We filed in like
we had been doing it for years, then peeled apart into a "concert formation"
which was basically a line facing into the dance floor.  I was struck by the
fact that there were several lights that happened to spread out just where
we were standing and we certainly didn't feel like the motley crew we must
have appeared to be.
	With a quiet count-off, I started our little troup into "Scotland the
Brave" and thrilled to the sight of dozens of couples rushing into place and
starting in unison.  We played about 8 times through, falling closer and
closer into sync as the dancers jumped and shouted and pranced to the sound
of our pipes and drums.  I swear that I could feel the mutual air of pride
and joy among our entire troupe.  When I signalled to stop and we cut off
together, the roof went up from the cheers.
	With a simple command, I called the troup to play the outgoing tune and we
marched into our original columns and out the door to another howling of
cheers.  We had to come back to the door for one more bow.
	I don't know how to describe the feeling when half a dozen guys from the
ends of the earth get together and make beautiful music with such effect.
Sadly, nothing like this has recurred in my experience.
	Magic times are just that.

Yours in service,
Wm

"The best thing that can be said about bagpipes,
apart from everything else, is that they don't smell."
																										Oscar Wilde