Awards and honors

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at tddeng00.fnts.com
Tue Jun 24 07:44:56 PDT 1997

> The "adding their badge" looks somewhat like an augmentation of arms.
> BTW, is it adding the group's badge to the Centurion banner, or the
> Centurion's badge to the group's banner?  Is it only for that year?
>
> Giving a group or a person a right -- here, the right to bear a
> distinctive banner for a fixed period of time -- is a wonderful period
> idea!  I wish far more landed nobles would do such a thing!  Rewarding
> an excellent warband is a fine notion.
>
> Not to criticize Their current Majesties in particular -- it's common
> to many Crowns and Barons/esses -- but there seems to be a really
> common line of reasoning of
>
> 1) X is a Good Thing.
> 2) We should reward those who do it.
> 3) This reward has to be a new award or order with a name and a dangly
>    and a place in the order of precedence.
>
> I agree with steps 1 and 2, and wholly disagree with 3.
>
> Sometimes they go onto
> --
> Daniel de Lincoln
> Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com
> tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.

I agree with Daniel on a couple of points here.  First and foremost the fact that
honors do not have to be awards.  I would love to see more gifts given for honor,
prowess, of just for doing something nifty without there having to be some place
in precedence for it.

When we were discussing the Acorn for the Steppes one of my suggestions was not to
have any award but for the Baron/ess to find out something about what the person
to be honored likes and make a gift to be presented in public.

The "badge of honor" to be borne by the warbands sounds wonderful.  I would like
the Crown to sponsor a competition for the Bards to write a War Song.  "Rising of
the Star" sounds just a little too perky for me.  But a song similar in feel to
"Shield Wall" to be sung by the forces marching onto the field would be wonderful.
The winning Bard would get no more reward than the honor of hearing his or her
song sung by (hopefully) hundreds of Ansteorran warriors as they go to meet our
noble foes.  See no danglies, no scrolls, just wonderful honor.

Just a thought.

Yers,

Gunthar