Magic Moments

Vicki Marsh zarazina at flash.net
Tue Jun 24 09:21:59 PDT 1997

> All of us who participat in the SCA have at one time or another experinced
> a magic moment, a point where we witness something so special that it will
> stay with us forever.

Greetings, Sir Burke,

I have so very many special moments that it is difficult to select one or two. But I will try...

I have witnessed  lots of special times, but the ones that stand out are those that I was personally involved in the making of.

At Dragon's Fire Tor two years ago, I played the harp and sang a lullaby written by HL Mot Cather.  The bardic fire was beautiful, glinting off the strings of the harp.  The valley was quiet and cool in the mist of the evening.  The words and the notes from the harp came from me, but were not mine in the making.  It was like being able to watch it from afar.  When the song finished, the audience was quiet, then they all sighed at once.  Turning to my love, Llywelyn, I was surprised to see the tears in his eyes matched those in mine.

At a Byrn Gwlad Baronial Championship several years ago, I was involved in a Thomas of Tenby presentation of Beowolfe.  Prior to the actual performance, we had several rehearsals to prepare for the event.  One night, under a full moon, in Thomas and Clare's backyard, we did a complete run-through.  It was in regular clothes, with the lights and sounds of the city around us, but we were transported to a time before time.  The full moon, the harp, the drum, the telling of the story in Old English.....everything.  It was awesome.  When the time came for the actual performance at the event, the wind which had been blowing incessantly, stopped.   The clouds parted for the moon to shine upon us and the firelight danced upon the dragon banner.  At the end, when the story finished and the last note of harp and drum sounded, no one could speak or breathe for a moment.  The small audience was frozen in time, many with tears shed and unshed in their eyes.

I have been very blessed with memories such as these, as well as the honor to be involved in the making of them with my friends.

Thank you, Burke, for the asking,

Zara Zina