award stuff

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Tue Jun 24 08:34:44 PDT 1997

        I have always thought that one doesn't need an "offical" award in
order to feel good.  Many times the idea of calling someone into court and
explaining what good thing the person has done and giving them word fame
and/or a gift of largesse is of great meaning.  I have spoken to many
people who remember that King So and So or Baroness Such called them up and
gave them a bracelet, a goblet or a belt.  When I first joined the SCA I
was very impressed with the idea that some one would make something simply
for the pleasure of giving to a neat person or one who had done an act of
kindness. I also know that as a new person I understood a gift or a thank
you far better than an "award". It is only when I was for a while that I
understood what the awards meant.   Maybe, that is why, when a new person
receives an AOA, it is often their most remembered award.     Recently when
I attended Steppes Warlord, Baron Edwin gave out prizes for many thngs and
each time he gave an award he said something about the person personally,
recounting why the person received the award.  This is more rewarding that
just saying ... "wow, they make really good costumes".   I have watched
word-fame from Bjornsborg mean something really special to people.  To have
been told by Master Ragnor that I sang well or told a good story is better
to me than gold and awards.

Clare R. St. John