Magic Moment

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Tue Jun 24 09:30:50 PDT 1997

I have had a number of magic moments in the SCA but I will tell of 2 that
stand out.

When I first joined the SCA I was living in the Barony of Windmasters
Hill in the Kingdom of Atlantia. It was like a big family and everyone
pretty much worked together to accomplish many wonderful things. My
second event in the society was Pennsic (I had been a member for 1
month). I worked hard the week before Pennsic making 5 outfits (for the 5
days I would attend).   I camped with the barony and spent much of my
time with them. The whole week was magical. The Barony was entertained
several times by other groups to get our fighters to fight with them.  I
sat around campfires in the evening listening to stories, songs and
drums. I went dancing. I watched battles and tourneys and help to bring
water to the fighters. To this day, I make all efforts to see the field
battle because I found it so amazing that first year. I totally forgot
about the modern world. I got caught up with 'wenches night out' with the
Tuchuks and had an absolute blast wandering the camp with them.  Words
cannot begin to describe how immersing Pennsic can be and as a newcomer
how wonderful it was for me.

The other moment for me was a few years later at Pennsic. One night my
lord and I took a walk around the lake late at night. The moon was
shining on the lake very prettily. We could hear singing and drums
playing and otherwise it was quiet and serene. Part of the way around the
lake, my lord knelt and ask me to marry him.  This moment is always
special, I know. However, there at Pennsic with the moonlight and drums,
the modern world totally gone and just this world we create, it was truly
magical.

We will be celebrating the 10th anniversary of this moment this year at
Pennsic. All are invited. :)

Clarissa