Totems and symbols

J'lynn Yeates jyeates at bga.com
Wed Jun 25 06:11:12 PDT 1997

On 25 Jun 97 at 12:54, ND Wederstrandt wrote:

> I can't remember totally (so some one add to this comment)  weren't Roman
> legions given Eagles to recognize that they were Caesars army.  It was like
> a status symbol and they always fought not to loose their Eagle?

very much so.  the eagles were the heart and soul of the legions ...
the greatest disgrace a legion could suffer was the loss of that
standard.  if memory serves, there were case of legions permanently
disbanded after the loss of their standards and several wars fought
for their recovery or to avenge their loss.

'wolf