new awards...

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 25 11:23:45 PDT 1997

Kat / Lori Jones <LJONES at ossm.edu> wrote:
> The feedback I'd gotten was largely like "what, ANOTHER fighting
> award???"

Yeah, that reaction crops up from time to time.  However, given the
Corpora restriction of chivalry for heavy tourney combat only, plus
modern ideas of fairness, there is necessarily a little proliferation
at the top for rapier and projectiles (did I miss anyone?).  I hope it
can be controlled instead of becoming kudzu.

>> - does anyone have information about when "campaign ribbons"
>> attached to a battle standard came into use?
>At the risk of muddying waters that already resemble quicksand....
>I think the banner resembles more of a standard than a ribbon....

I think we're describing two different things.  We were told that
groups who got this whateveritis would get a ribbon to attach to the
top of their own standard with a design including the year and event
they got it for.  *That's* what I'm calling the "campaign ribbon"
without knowing if that's the proper term.

(If I can speculate: I heard that personal metals, like the Legion of
Honor, Pour le Merit, Cong. Metal of Honor, etc., came in with
Napoleon, so if I could guess, I would guess that campaign ribbons are
19th C. too.  I'd like hard data to replace speculation.)

> Adding the groups' badges to the penant itself

Attach them to a pedant and they'll be remembered for life.  8-)

> I think something that can only be given out
> once in a blue moon (read 2+ years) probably isn't worth keeping

*setting down a lion trap*  How about once every six months -- is
that a "blue moon"?  8-)  *hmm, that'll catch counts too*

> The artisan in me just has to wonder how it is that one goes about
> casting images of one's emerods in gold.

The panel in _The Cartoon History of the Universe_ shows a sculptor
working with a chisel on a lump of gold and a model who has "bent over
and spread 'em", and is vocally unhappy about holding that position
for long.  (The model is "displayed" away from the reader; it's not
TOTALLY inelegant.)

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com