new awards...

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Jun 26 12:27:46 PDT 1997

Keep in mind that Baronial Orders come and go.  Sometimes new incoming Baron/ess
will close the old Order and start a new order, for various reasons.
Ideally, the old order and the new are supposed to be treated as one, but
that doesn't always happen.  A good example of these is in Bryn Gwlad when
the Dreighu Bryn (can't spell Welsh, sorry)  meeting is convened, the
Halberds are not always called. I guess if this was a big problem you could
give the old order holders the new Order but that seems kind of redundant.
Bjornsborg has three Baronial Orders, the first (the Cap and Bells) was
closed because 1) It conflicted with a mundane Order and 2) the Populace
was never consulted about what the order's name would be. It was created
solely on the founding Baron's whim. (not a good idea).
        Speaking of redundancy, I also thought it strange that you could
receive more than one Sable Thistle.  I always kind of thought one receives
a Thistle for having skill in one field, the Iris for further diversity and
the Laurel for expertise in one and/or for knowledge in a lot.  But that's
really just how I view it.

Clare St. John