Lion of Ansteorra

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 30 21:25:16 PDT 1997

>Hossein Ali Qomi, Lion of Ansteorra, wrote:

>Aquilanne,
>	Traditions may not meet naive standards of "fairness," but they are
>the one thing which tie us to those who built the Kingdom.

Do my eyes deceive me, or has a Lion of Ansteorra just suggested that my
concern with fairness is "naive"?

<snip> ...perhaps
>it is worth clinging to traditions, even if they don't entirely appeal
>to contemporary taste.

Exactly which concepts are you finding in discord here--tradition and
fairness? Perhaps it is naive of me to prefer fairness over "tradition,"
but I've long found the excuse "but that's the way we've always done it" to
be a less than satisfying justification.

<snip> I will simply say that I would rather never have
>been created a Lion than to have been created a Lion in contravention of
>the Order's traditions.

I am glad for you that yours was a pleasant experience. Do you perhaps
suggest that any deviation from the kind of experience you had would be
unworthy?

Aquilanne