The Peerages...

Pug Bainter pug at pug.net
Mon Jun 2 05:29:26 PDT 1997

>>  The main thing I see as a definate disadvantage is the politics that
>>  occur within the circles. These flucuate, but when I've seen this ugly
>>  beast rise its head, it's truly an ugly site.
> When there are more than 3 people in a room, you have politics.

Point well taken.

>>  So it comes down to, why would one *want* the peerage? What makes it
>>  gloureous? What makes it diserable? What am I missing in my thought
>>  stream?
> Here we get to the crux of a "society". It is human nature to want to
> be accepted, recognized, acknowledged, etc. We have grown-up in a
> culture where recognition and awards help to define who we are. (NOTE:
> These are generalizations only and I can firmly attest that they do
> not apply to all of us, at least not in the same degrees!!!) As such
> this kind of recognition can be an admirable goal for many.

My concerns are those individuals that ruin the fun for the rest of us;
be this by cooking mongering, ladder climbing, or playing dirty. These
have become acceptable behavior for a lot of our non-SCA society, and
some of it holds over to our SCA society.

> Though many will not need this kind of encouragement, I see nothing
> wrong with those kinds of folks accepting such accolades from others,
> if for no other reason than to provide an example of the ideals to
> those who may not otherwise understand them. Not all Peers share the
> same ideals, but they carry their own ideals with conviction and
> others have said that these people are to be admired for upholding
> their beliefs. Let them be examples for those who need examples.

This is very well put. Thank you.

> So perhaps there are no rewards or advantages, for you personally, in
> becoming a Peer.

> Perhaps, for some, it is nothing more than being put
> forth as an example.

Oh now that scares me. Me being put forth as an example for someone to
follow. *wink*

> But is not that act of
> selflessness part of the ideals we look for in Peers?

Honestly, I don't know. Since I am not a peer, I do not know what the
criteria is for advancing people who are deserving and deciding when they
are not. I would hope that this is one of the criteria though.

> Best of luck in however you decide to finally view it.

Thank you and thank you for your time.

Ciao,