MOA & Gunter

Michael Heydon Marrock at msn.com
Wed Jun 4 13:33:03 PDT 1997

From:	owner-ansteorra at eden.com  On Behalf Of Michael F. Gunter

that this "just ain't so."  Neither Lloyd nor any of his squires ever swore
any
oaths to our weapons.
Gunter, it was meant to be a metaphor, some sort of explanation why a MOA
doesn't swear to oath of fealty to the King.  The metaphor was to answer the
question, then what to they swear oath of fealty to, and as we don't swear to
the king, we, then in essence swear allegiance to our weapons, which are
offered to the king's service.  Also, Duke Lloyd must not have been Norse, for
all good Norsemen swear oaths to their weapons.  (tongue in cheek GRIN).

That comment (joke) is insulting and unworthy of Masters.
As a student to a Master, I find nothing insulting by my comment, but I will
not deny your right to claim an insult if you so desire.  Mater of fact, it is
a point, which my Master takes time to mention, that any person wearing a
baldric in combat needs to take into consideration the fact it might encumber
a limb, especially to his students.
I hold Masters at Arms in high regard and have considered the possibility of
taking up the baldric since Mastery is more in keeping with my personal
tastes.
There goes the neighborhood.
If you feel that MoA's recieve a bad rap then it is yours and your Master's
duty
to "out-knight" the knights.  To strive to be the best fighters, teachers, and
examples of Chivalry out there.  You should make the knights look up to you
not
act as if your Master was given a bum's rush.
You have a very odd sense of perspective if you have summarized the above
three statements.  I feel my Master was treated fairly by the Crown, and am
extremely proud of him as well as my own pursuits within the SCA.  I am under
the impression that a Knight whom is acting chivalrously wouldn't look down
upon Master's at Arms in the first place.  As my Master believes both MOAs and
Sirs exist to serve the crown, he asks that I don't participate in activities
which would separate the two orders.  He instead promotes that he and his
students try to learn something in the process of teaching something and visa
versa to all members of the SCA.

With the best in mind....		Stay amused....

Marrock

Marrock at msn.com