The Peerages...

barbara at mail.topher.net barbara at mail.topher.net
Wed Jun 4 12:03:52 PDT 1997

From:          MstrssMara at aol.com
Date:          Tue, 3 Jun 1997 10:33:00 -0400 (EDT)
To:            ansteorra at eden.com
Subject:       Re: The Peerages...

> I just wanted to clarify a point with the laurels.  It is true...a
>  laurel does not get made in this kingdom for expertise in a single
>  area.  It is preferred to have knowledge in a number of areas.

>I agree.  I believe it is good for the Kingdom to have Laurels who
>are well rounded and have more than one field they are comfortable
>with.  <SNIP>

>I can see how the standard answer we give can put some off.  And
>maybe this needs to be looked at by the Laurels.  My field of
>expertise is Stain Glass and Glass beads.  I do however do leather
>work, and have knowledge in other areas thanks to my fellow
>Laurels.......

>my 2 cents worth.....

>Mara

Speaking as a non-peer who was once new to this kingdom, the standard
answer is a little grating.

If I ask you what your feild of expertise is, and you say Stained
Glass, please trust me to not catagorize you to that alone.  We are
all fairly intelligent people in the SCA, and less likely than most
to try to put you into a box and keep you there.

As far as other kingdoms Laurels, I doubt that you would find any
that do one thing and only one thing either.  As someone else said,
it is rare to find an artistic person that doesn't do many
different things, and most of them well.  It is just that their
standard answer is different than Ansteorran's.

Aelfric of Alburn
Black Oak Keep