MSCA (was: Re: MOA)

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Thu Jun 5 08:23:42 PDT 1997

Sir Gunthar wrote:

>Wearing the chain on the belt because you have a problem with the current
Crown is
>insulting to the extreme.  One common misconception, even among the
knights, is
>that you swear fealty each time there is a new Crown.  A knight swears fealty
>ONCE.  That during the ceremony in which they are knighted.  The knight's
oath is
>to the Crown and lands of Ansteorra and to whomever is the rightful ruler.  The
>fealty ceremony is simply a reaffirmation of that oath.  There have been Kings
>to whom I did not reaffirm my oath to for various reasons but I was no less a
>Knight of Ansteorra nor did I consider myself out of fealty.  Had the King
>commanded me, I would have obeyed.

>Yers,
>
>Sir Gunthar Jonsson                      "It is better to lose well than
>Kingdom of Ansteorra                               to win badly."

Good Sir,

This subject happens to correspond with a bit of homework I have been doing
of late and I must disagree with you.  Knights in period (England, our
model) swore to each *man* who wore the crown because it was more than just
a pledge of allegience.  Not only that, but the oath of fealty was a yearly
ordeal for most even when the crown/baron did not change.  The barons
demanded it and in their society it was for good cause... everyone *saw* you
give your word... everyone *heard* the contract between you and the
king/baron.  Not to put my knight on a pedestal, but those who were at
Ansteorran court at Gulf War this year saw **exactly** how fealty was done
in period(although Axels was in Finnish the language differed from region to
region;P)- to each king, and in a way that no person could doubt what was
said and what each man expected from the other.

In my opinion, knights SHOULD swear fealty to each king so as to set the
contract of not only what you owe *him* but more importantly what he owes *you*.

Auf Wiedersehen fur jezt,

Dieterich