If Daniel was Emperor...(was Re: MOA)

dentim at mail.myriad.net dentim at mail.myriad.net
Thu Jun 5 22:35:03 PDT 1997

Greetings!

Daniel is Grand High Muckty Muck.....

>OK, OK, I'm weaseling.  I'd basically align the major points with
>period practice, both reality and tournament societies.  (I understand
>the latter were somewhat common in period, and chose "kings" for
>themselves.  What were these societies like?  They look like a close
>period model for what we do.)

Speaking of choosing kings, one of the big arguments in the society is we
choose kings in a totally non-period fashion. Well, I have found a little
tidbit that *may* show a little precedent...

      (this is German 5th-6th cent.)

        "A chief who reigned for a long time or who achived great military
sucess was able to create a royal dynasty. The dynasty would claim desent
from Woden, put on sacred airs, and posses the kingship as its private
property. But succession to the kingship could not be by primogeniture; this
was not an early Germanic idea and was restricted by the original power of
the war band to give or refuse loyalty. At the death of the king, the
leaders of the folk would come together and choose that member of the royal
family who was the most "throne-worthy", that is, the best fighter.
(emphasis mine)

        "The Civilization of the Middle Ages"
                Norman F. Cantor pg.95

Now Cantor goes on to explain that this choosing was done by election, and I
havent been able to track down any more references on this ,but still, it's
the closest thing to what we do that I have seen.

timo
justplaintimo