looking for other gypsies?

Kristine E. Maitland bq676 at freenet.toronto.on.ca
Fri Jun 6 17:01:07 PDT 1997

To all of the Rom pay heed for I am in need of assistance...

On Fri, 6 Jun 1997, Lori Bushman/Gypsy wrote:

> hello my name is Illaria in the Sca and I reside in the Middle
> Kingdom I saw your names off the Rialto and wanted to start a
> correspondence with whomever I could find else had gypsy
> personas....and exchange information...I taught a class at our local
> RUM last month and I was looking to learn more from others...

The good lady is misinformed for I do not have a gypsy persona but as one
who is also disenfranchised by society (being black and all) I
occasionally come across things of interest to the Rom whilst I do
research on blacks in med./ren. Europe.

This summer, I'm doing a class at the Venshavn Symposium in Ealdormere.
The topic is the portrayal of non-whites in "period" film.  I plan to
spend much of the talk on the protrayal of Blacks in _Robin Hood: Prince
of Thieve_, _Cutthroat Island_ and _Rob Roy_.

However, I do want to touch on the portrayal of gypsies as seen in _The
Advocate_.  I would appreciate your input on this topic and request
references that would be appropriate to gypsies in 12th century Europe.

sinceremente
Inez Rosanera
Ealdormere