ASCII Extended characters in email

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jun 8 18:34:50 PDT 1997

The College of Arms -- or at least some of them -- use a
system for encoding accented and other special characters
using plain ASCII.  I think most people call it the Da'ud system,
because Da'ud pretty much came up with it in this form
and promulgatyed it while he was Laurel.  I don't
have time to go into it now, but it has things like
{e'}  e with accent /-way
{o:} or {o"}  o with umlaut (I don't recall which is "official")
{o/}   o with / slash
{'e}  e with \-way accent -- that's because  forward and
   backwards quotes, ' and `, are often hard to distinguish
   in fonts in use.
{c,}  c cedilla.
etc.

Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com