Made to Swear Fealty

William E. Cole wec1 at airmail.net
Sat Jun 7 11:57:35 PDT 1997

Baronman at aol.com wrote:
> Very well stated, but what you fail to realize is that  many people within
> the SCA consider it (the SCA) to be reality.  They not only have one foot out
> of the stirrup but both.
>   Your thoughts???????

I'd like to share my own personal opinions on this one...

Firstly, I try to look at the more ahh.... 'intense' members of the
Society as kindly as possible. I don't see them as having a less-sure
grip on reality, but just having a stronger desire to pursue the more
pleasant and idealized ideas and beliefs of the SCA. Naturally, this
type of person would take most (everything?) within the Society more
seriously than many others. I admire them for their drive and desire,
and keep a blank IRS 1040 taxform in my tent to shock back to reality
the ones I met who 'have slipped too far into the past.'

> >Well, considering that this *is* technically a recreational organization and
-=>snip<=-
> >with the romantic Arthurian ideal so many of us hold dear. Frankly, the idea
> >that anyone would actually consider swearing fealty in the SCA to
> >potentially conflict with any situation in real life is really quite
-=>snip<=-

I address my next personal opinion ONLY towards those people who, like
myself, view oaths very seriously and personally. It has already been
pointed out (and very well done, I might add) by others that there are
many reasons for not swearing an oath of fealty and I shall not open
that can of worms again.

I have always taken oaths VERY seriously. I believe that a promise can
be made in jest, but an oath can not. To me, an oath made in the SCA
would be every bit as binding as one made outside it. I admit to a bit
of confusion about the oath of fealty, though. It was my understanding
that the oath is made to the crown (the office; representing the beliefs
and ideas of the people <kingdom> it stands for) and not to the person
(Jonh von Doe) wearing it. It is also my understanding that these stated
beliefs of the kingdom all pretty much good along with the `King Arthur'
beliefs of the round table (chivalry, honor, respect, honesty, etc). If
my understandings have been correct, than I personally, despite my
strong beliefs about oaths, would not have a problem with swearing an
oath of fealty because these ARE values I believe in.

Have I misunderstood the oath? Does it it involve a pledge to the crown
(and the ideas it represents) or to the man wearing it?

Again, please remember that I address this view point only in regards to
the conflict of 'personal beliefs about making (any) oath.'

Trying to learn...

William FitzBane
<wec1 at airmail.net>