Made to Swear Fealty

ND Wederstrandt nweders at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 9 09:40:57 PDT 1997

Old SCA myth & legend....

It was told to me by some Meridian peers that had been in the SCA since
early times that there were no Meridian MOAS so that one indiviual would
not want to live in Meridies.  This MOA was so disliked that the
requirement was placed in Kingdom Law that all peers have to swear fealty.
So Siobhan is correct.  I don't think that other Kingdoms made any kind of
rigid rule.

(Herewith follows a personal statement that in no way reflects anthing
other than a personal statement,  If it offends please write me personally)

 I personally think that fealty is personal and can only exist between
persons, which is why one renews their oath everytime there is a new Crown.
Fealty to me is a two edged sword... both people enter into a contract and
many times I have seen the Crown not follow fealty more that the person
swearing it.  I do not give my bond often for this reason.  I have swore
fealty twice.  I do not expect others to swear just on my say so and would
never ask someone to swear fealty.  In that respect, I am like Hrabia Jan.
Fealty should never be given lightly.

Clare R. St. John