Tegans answer

tegan at swbell.net tegan at swbell.net
Tue Jun 10 21:18:32 PDT 1997

Maybe you missed it in my original posting but I did specifically
say that I did not blame the SCA for this sargent's confusion. I only
used the example to point out that these people do exist in the SCA.
I too love the SCA and I think it has been a wonderfull experience.
I think I termed this person an "extreme example" and I only brought
it up as a cautionary tale.
But I am confused that someone who values his oath to a crown that
could be won by anyone who masters chivalric arts over one that he
made to protect and serve his country is being given to me as a good
example. As an ex-military person and being from a family who has lost
at least one member to every war this country ever fought in the past
two centuries (which by the way is how I know I have no hidden fighting
talents) I can't even imagine thinking that an oath given in a
historical recreation group could ever put me in danger of divulging
important military secrets.
Now please don't lecture me on the importance of oaths, I take the oath
of marriage I made to my husband before god very seriously(anyone who
knows Wolfgang will attest to the fact that fealty to crown is a peice
of cake compared to this).I took my military oath seriously (it stunk
but I stuck it out)
My whole purpose in the original posting was to point out the dangers of
not balancing both the SCA and nonSCA parts of a persons life.
And also to point out that the unkind words I have have heard voiced
in the past could have been targeting someone deeply troubled.

                     Tegan Rhos
                      "Let it go"