SCA's NEXT GENERATION

C&C Shirk cshirk at onr.com
Fri Jun 13 19:28:47 PDT 1997

Aquilane wrote:
>Cliques by their very nature exclude people. How is she supposed to >have
any idea who or what clique she might want to hang around with if >all the
clique does is stand around cliquing? Hospitalling should not be >a singular
job that one person "gets stuck" with doing; hospitalling >should be a
common concern for everyone.

Thank you Aquilane.  I very much agreed with Soberbia's posting.  I too have
found some baronies extremely hard to "break into", Bryn Gwlad being one of
the worst. Unfortunately my job requires that I move from time to time so I
am in the position of having to make new friends all over again.  My very
first experience in SCA was in Caerthe, and I must compliment them on being
the friendliest bunch around.  Without fail at every meeting or event, at
LEAST 5 people would come over and say hi and introduce themselves and ask
if I had any questions.  People I had met would come over and say "Welcome
back."  Alas, I did not stay there long, but I must have gotten very
spoiled, because the next 3 groups were very different.  It has been a
couple of years from my Caerthe experience, but I have to still call myself
a newcomer because I have felt so uncomfortable every where else that I very
rarely attended.  Stargate was reasonably friendly but I did not live there
long enough to cultivate those friendships.  Now I have moved to Bryn Gwlad
and with only 2 exceptions I have yet to be approached by anyone.  The
couple of times I have tried to approach someone with a hello or a question
I have recieved a polite but quick reply/answer and then they turn away and
get back to their friends.  As a result, I haven't tried to go to any event
or meeting in over 6 months.  It's just too lonely.

Amy