"Great Books for the SCA Tradition"

Dieterich cjw at vvm.com
Sun Jun 15 21:31:44 PDT 1997

At 04:14 PM 6/15/97 -0400, Siobhan wrote:
>Concerning A World Lit Only By Fire:
**Big muckin snip**
>Opinions?
>
>Siobhan

Dieterich hier,

I'm not sure that my opinion counts for much as an arts/research type but
for varietys sake I'll tell you that I have to side with you on this one...
I liked the read despite the discrepancies.  Quite frankly, he's not *all*
that far off on any one subject through and through.  Someone had mentioned
that he propogates the "Dark Ages" myth but, when you consider the contrast
he's making (Italy- 14-late) is it really such a stretch?  I think not.
What did puzzle me somewhat was the decidedly one-sided view of the Church.
I would be a bit concerned that the book casts the _papacys_ reputation on
the Church itself even though Manchester never actually makes that
connection per se.

Overall, it's lively enough to keep us club-swingers interested and _does_
paint a clear enough picture for a newly involved person to understand the
whole rennaissance zeitgeist.  Thumbs up and put it on the list.(note: the
word 'zeitgeist' is a special guestword appearing on behalf of Lord Timotheus)