SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Lenny Zimmermann zarlor at acm.org
Mon Jun 16 08:13:26 PDT 1997

On Sun, 15 Jun 1997 22:29, Lady Gwenllian ferch Maredudd wrote:

[snip]
>I would also be interested in hearing what other groups do to get newcomers
>involved. Do you have formal activities like classes, revels, or newcomers'
>households, or is it all done on an informal one-on-one basis?

In the past couple of years her in Bjornsborg we have had Collegiums
and occasional classes as well as newcomers's meetings. I have to
agree that I was not really interested in being segregated out as a
newcomer either, so we tend to try and remove such distinctions in any
other get togethers we have. We just try to make sure our newer folks
know about the things going on.

One of our best things has been to have several classes over at
someone's house once a month, or so. We'll cover things from basic
heraldry, Ansteorran and SCA organizational structure, to Dueling and
Honor in the Renaissance and Etiquette and Honor on the SCA Tourney
field. There is something of a theme through these that let's you know
where the information is of use on a basic level and to get by in the
SCA, but we also try to take it past there to give those who are
interested a more in-depth perspective.

We've even done classes on What to expect at an SCA event and what
things to have ready for events. And while those types of classes are
pretty heavily geared at new folks who have not been to an event
before, we still try to get the more experienced members to come and
provide some insight on the under-current and flow of events as well
as providing practical advice that 20 years of camping can provide.
And those of us who have been in a short while, but are pretty
familiar and comfortable with how things work, can help to bridge the
gap by providing and insight into what you, as a new person, can get
involved with. Especially since such things are still fresh in our
minds that our advice can, hopefully, be fairly practical.

We have found the key to be getting people involved. It's great to get
old-timers and newcomers together to really provide a good level of
integration. Experienced individuals can provide the skills to get
along in th local group and the new people provide the fire, zest and
enthusiasm that helps keep the experienced crowd interested.

Honos Servio,
Lionardo Acquistapace, Bjornsborg
(mka Lenny Zimmermann, San Antonio)
zarlor at acm.org