SCA's NEXT GENERATION

Elyh at aol.com Elyh at aol.com
Tue Jun 17 09:04:44 PDT 1997

>>...when you invite someone
to a newcomer's revel or newcomer's class or newcomer's
quasi-medieval-whatsiwhoosis, you label that someone as a "newcomer."  Once
you've been so labeled, it seems an eternity before anyone will take you
seriously. <<

You must have had a bad experience.  I've never seen that problem in my neck
of the woods.  In fact, most of the time, newcomers are, as I've mentioned
before, smothered with affection.  Us 'oldies' rush to be the first ones to
answer the questions, we rush to be the first ones to discover the new
person's interests and help them find their medieval niche, we 'oldies'
practically make it a competition.  Most of the newcomers I've dealt with are
assimilated completely by their third SCA-related meeting.  Mwoo-ha ha ha.
 Ummm, I mean.....

Anyway, as for being taken seriously, what did you mean?  I would listen with
a grain of salt to any new person who thought they had the ideal solution to
the an on-going shire feud.  But I would *listen*, after all, they have a
different perspective and might see something we don't.  And I would never
patronize, condescend to, or belittle someone just because they are new to
the SCA.  And furthermore, how many of you who know me have *ever* seen me
take *anything* seriously?  Larkin?  Marthe?  Cad?  Nope?  Didn't think so.

Ghia