Food Receipe

Dottie Elliott macdj at onr.com
Wed Jun 18 08:28:38 PDT 1997

DAVID SPENCER 6/17/97 9:49 AM

>To all those gentles with interest in spending Knowledge of Dishes
>
>I am a rather Non experienced cook and I have to make a dish for are
>monthly feast on saterday, Since I am untried at cooking I would like
>to throw my self at your feet and beg for a simple, easy to make yet
>nice Receipe for something.
>
>Yours in Hope
>Efrawg ap Grwddywal
>Shire of Adamastor
>Geographical location: South Africa

Efrawg greetings from Clarissa!

what sort of dish are you interested in?  I have been doing period
cooking for 5 years now.  There is a very popular dish here in Bryn Gwlad
that I introduced to the group a few years ago and EVERYBODY makes it now
(even for their co-workers for parties :) ).  Its called Savory Toasted
Cheese.  Its very easy. And its below. You can find other recipes at:
http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/cariadoc/recipe_index.html or just email me
with what you are looking for and I will see what I can come up with.

Savoury Tosted or Melted Cheese
A Miscellany by Cariadoc and Elizabeth
Digby p. 228/177

Cut pieces of quick, fat, rich, well tasted cheese, (as the best of Brye,
Cheshire, &c. or sharp thick Cream-Cheese) into a dish of thick beaten
melted Butter, that hath served for Sparages or the like, or pease, or
other
boiled Sallet, or ragout of meat, or gravy of Mutton: and, if you will,
Chop
some of the Asparages among it, or slices of Gambon of Bacon, or
fresh-collops, or Onions, or Sibboulets, or Anchovis, and set all this to
melt upon a Chafing-dish of Coals, and stir all well together, to
Incorporate them; and when all is of an equal consistence, strew some
gross
White-Pepper on it, and eat it with tosts or crusts of White-bread. You
may
scorch it at the top with a hot Fire-Shovel.

1/2 lb butter
1/2 lb cream cheese
1/8 lb Brie or other strongly flavored cheese
1/4 t white pepper

Melt the butter. Cut up the cheese and stir it into the butter over low
heat. You will probably want to use a whisk to blend the two together and
keep the sauce from separating (which it is very much inclined to do).
When
you have a uniform, creamy sauce you are done. You may serve it over
asparagus or other vegetables, or over toast; if you want to brown the
top,
put it under the broiling unit in your stove for a minute.