You *can* sometimes get what you want

Chris and Elisabeth Zakes moondrgn at bga.com
Wed Jun 18 14:56:53 PDT 1997

At 09:39 AM 6/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>Seriously, I think a "field Pelican" in the kitchen is a bad idea.
>Not that I've helped much in the kitchen myself! -- I have no cooking
>or chopping skills and I have a "thing" about food what's been et on
>-- but I can imagine that someone there is tired, hot, sweaty, dirty,
>in grungy clothing, and generally Not In A Good Mood.  But those who
>do hang out there can express their opinions.

On the whole, I agree. My best friend was awarded a Sable Thistle for
clothing--in her worst dress because she had been working hard. She still
remembers that, after about eight years.

>In the general case (digressing here), you can try one option: let
>people know your preferences.  For a while, I didn't want an AoA
>(award fever), so I wrote two Crowns in a row.  It appeared to have
>worked.  If you have a baron/ess, maybe you can write them a letter,
>saying you do or don't want to be surprised, do/don't want a "field
>promotion", or whatever.  Or you can just talk to higer-ranking,
>better-connected friends.  Maybe they'll forget, but if you *don't*
>say anything, you're not likely to get what you want.

This is a perfect idea (perfect because I've used it myself? :) ). If you
have a really good friend or spouse or whatever in the group in question,
it is not difficult to let them know about your preferences, and then they
can let it be known to Those Who Decide.

>Daniel de Lincoln
>Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com

Aethelyan