Badges and Terms

Angus mac Taggart/Rik Packham aquinas at eden.com
Wed Jun 18 16:53:06 PDT 1997

I did not mean that a novice, a newcomer or a mundane would know these
symbols and badges. What I did mean is if the newcomer came up and talked
to who-ever and that person did not know the answer to a particular
question, or knew that the service that the newcomer was in search for was
had by an officer, he/she could describe the badge (and yes I know that not
everyone knows what all of the badges look like, that's why I made the
Officer Definition page on the Bryn Gwlad site). The newcomer can then look
for the officer.

I know that this is not an 'one-answer-to-every-situation' kind of issue.
This is part of a solution to something that posts like this may deliver.

Angus

Barony of Bryn Gwlad:          http://www.eden.com/~aquinas/bryn.gwlad/
Crossroads to the S.C.A.:    http://www.eden.com/~aquinas/sca/
Laird Angus mac Taggart:    http://www.eden.com/~aquinas/sca/angus.html
Lady Cecily Garland:             http://www.eden.com/~cecily/

 ----
C'mon.  Symbols or badges aren't going to work unless people know what
they mean.  Same goes for the labels of officers.  What's wrong with a
"medic", "nurse", or "first aid" sign?  Why not the universally recognized
red cross?  (Especially for something as serious as first aid).

And, (to further illustrate), I don't know what a "hospitaler" badge looks
like.  How many of you do? (a rhetorical question - no replies please)
Does this symbol convey "welcome", "i'm the one to talk to"?  Does it have
any words on it?  Like "Ask me about the SCA"?  Sure, that may sound
stupid, but if I walked up to a practice, it would be my invitation to
start talking to this person.
Joel Schumacher                        JCPenney Co. - UNIX Network Systems
jschumac at uns-dv1.jcpenney.com          12700 Park Central Pl
(972) 591-7543                         Dallas TX  75251