ansteorra V1 #874 - Badges & Terms

Tim McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Sun Jun 22 22:43:03 PDT 1997

On Sun, 22 Jun 1997, Michael Mayer <delamare at flash.net> wrote:
> FYI, the red cross also serves those with an "English" persona -
> it's the Cross of St. George; seeing such a banner at an event might
> not solve the issue of locating first aid.  Since our Society is
> filled with unique symbols, titles, customs, etc., asking for such
> info would be the best method until those new to the Society become
> more familiar with such.

I agree with the point about asking for info.  I'd just like to point
out that a cross (by default "throughout") is not the same as a cross
"couped" (cut short of the edges of the field it's on), in heraldry
and I suspect in common perception.  All the depictions of the Red
Cross I've seen (and the counterchanged tinctures on Swiss Army Knives
and such) have an equal-armed stubby cross with rather thick arms, and
the S. George Cross extending to the edges of the banner or other
depiction and with relatively skinny arms.

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.