Eldern Hills Tourney

Talen von Marienburg talen at microtutors.com
Tue Jun 24 07:15:17 PDT 1997

Tim McDaniel [SMTP:tmcd at crl.com] wrote:

I've checked the OED under "campaign" and "ribbon" and found nothing
pertient, and I don't have sources on military history to speak of.
Are those ribbons on unit standards modernly called "campaign
ribbons", or do I have the term wrong (perhaps that's actually the
short bar-codes that US military personnel (e.g.) wear on the breast)?
Anyone have a date for the institution of campaign ribbons on
standards?

I don't have my books here at work.  I'll try to check on it when I get
the chance.

The "adding their badge" looks somewhat like an augmentation of arms.
BTW, is it adding the group's badge to the Centurion banner, or the
Centurion's badge to the group's banner?  Is it only for that year?

They're to add their badge to the Centurion's banner.  No arms are
involved.  It will be permanent (or as permanent as a war standard can
be <BG> when carried into battle).

<Snip>
Not to criticize Their current Majesties in particular -- it's common
to many Crowns and Barons/esses -- but there seems to be a really
common line of reasoning of

1) X is a Good Thing.
2) We should reward those who do it.
3) This reward has to be a new award or order with a name and a dangly
   and a place in the order of precedence.

I agree with steps 1 and 2, and wholly disagree with 3.

Sometimes they go onto

4) We can string together any combination of words with modern meanings
   and get a period-style name, and make any design we want as a
   badge.  (Don't Ask Me About The Badge Of The Order Of The Sable
Garland.
   Full Stop.)

Or am I just a stick-in-the-mud curmudgeon to worry about such things?

I thought "stick-in-the-mud" was part of the definition of herald?  ;-)

--
Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at tmcd.austin.tx.us is wrong tool.  Never use this.

Talen
-------
Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg, Kriegsherr von Nordsteorra
E-mail: talen at microtutors.com
Centurion Web: http://www.microtutors.com/css/css.htm