award stuff

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Tue Jun 24 17:07:36 PDT 1997

>  I've heard rumors of an archery award being
> mooted.  But then what about catapulters and other seige engine
> operators, and knife / axe / spear experts?

> Daniel de Lincoln

At this point I'd have to agree that different awards for different
types of armored combat would be too much.  I think precedence in
this kingdom was set with His Highness Kein's last reign when HL
Octavia de Verdon was given a sable falcon.  For those of you who
don't know her, she can usually be found in wars or melees weilding
a crossbow with extremely deadly accuracy.  It was this skill
(along with tenacity and heart) that earned her the falcon.  If you
ask the fighters who take the field with her (whether they be a
spearman, in the shield wall or running cavalry), I think you would
be hard pressed to find one that felt she had not earned this award.

I guess it would be good to remember that there really aren't any
awards just for *doing* something (no matter how long you do it).
Recognition comes from doing something often and *well*  (plus,
there's the added bit of luck thrown in that means someone points
it out to someone who then points it out to the King, who then
agrees that, yes, what they did *was* outstanding, and the person
really *should* be recognized for it....).

Please, don't think this means I'm expecting Knightings based on
archery, or missile weapons, or even outstanding fighting in melees.
This type of thing has happened in at least one other kingdom, but
I think it will probably be a long time (if ever) before it happens
here in Ansteorra.  Just off-hand, I can't think of a knight made
since I've been in the SCA (mid 1987) purely as a result of their
war-combat related skills.  (Before I get jumped on, remember I said
Knight, not Master).  If my memory is bad, please remind me!  It
could contribute much to a discussion I was involved in recently...

-  Kat    >"<

Katrionna MacLochlainn,  Centurion, SF
Barony of Wiesenfeuer, Ansteorra

Lori Campbell