Totems and symbols

Timothy A. McDaniel tmcd at crl.com
Wed Jun 25 11:11:51 PDT 1997

Clare wrote:
> weren't Roman legions given Eagles to recognize that they were Caesar's
> legions given Eagles to recognize that they were Caesars army?
> It was like a status symbol and they always fought not to lose their eagle?

I think so, but I have the dim impression that all legions had them --
GI Eagles, as it were.  (General Issue, not Gastro-Intestinal!
Those I suppose that some mutineer sometime might have said
Latin equivalent of "Take this eagle and shove it!".)

My other dim impression -- pretty much exhausting my knowledge
of period warfare -- is that groups might carry an ensign related
to their kingdom.  England had the S. George Cross (white field,
red cross to the edges); Scotland had the S. Andrew Cross
(blue field, white X stretching to the corners); France ... I dunno.

This would support an Ansteorran ensign (I think there is one
registered) being used or issued to groups in battle.

Daniel de Lincoln
Tim McDaniel.   Reply to tmcd at crl.com
tmcd at austin.tx.us is not a valid address.