award frequency

Lori Jones LJONES at ossm.edu
Wed Jun 25 20:45:28 PDT 1997

> I'm a bit curious. How often are the Sable Comet, Rising Star and
> Compass Rose given out? What is the Order of the Motley Sash of
> Ansteorra? (It's not listed as closed.)

Here's a limited perspective (having served as Sable Scroll to TRM
Mikael and Mikaela) on numbers of awards given out.   Keep in mind
this varies greatly depending on who is Crown.  All numbers are
approximate, as I don't have access to an OP at work.

When Royal court was held at a shire event, you could almost count
on one to three comets (the AoA level award for service to a shire)
being given.  Then there was the famous Northkeep "night of the
comet," which was a definite exception, but that's another story.

The Compass Rose (AoA level for service to the kingdom's children)
was much more erratic.  I'd guess the average at about 2 per month.

The Rising Star  (a service award given only to children -
non-armigerous)  was given out much more frequently. I'd guess about
3 or 4 per month.  There's lots of kids out there working!

The Motley Sash was a special award (non-armigerous) given to those
individuals who are entertainers - I think it's limited to those who
entertain in Court.  The principal was Master Pepin de Moronis
(jester).  Off the top of my head, I can think of only two others
that have the award:  HL Malaki Dracwine (magician), and Puck Oneshoe
of Sauvage (jester).

As for keeping track,  I think the OP keeps record of awards and
orders that have existed since the inception of Ansteorra as a
principality. Plus, it even lists a few awards earned out of Kingdom
(esp. by those who earned them when we were still Atenveldt).  I
think this is kind of on an "as known" basis, since cross-referencing
kingdom Precendence lists is an incredibly time consuming and labor
intensive job (considering how much other stuff there is to do).

> Phelim "Pug" Gervase

Kat MacLochlainn   >"<
(just trying to beat Burke to the answer on this one...)