12-steps

dssweet at okway.okstate.edu dssweet at okway.okstate.edu
Fri Jun 27 07:14:47 PDT 1997

Baroness Zara Zina Theanos wrote:

>I'm even trying to integrate it into SCA projects....scouring art books
>for designs... blackwork.....borders for trim.....wastecloth projects
>on peplums....pant..pant...Send me ideas....I want more, more...

>I do it at stop-lights, I do it while waiting for my e-mail to
>download.  I've never been able to embroider before...Is this one of
>those things that happens when you reach 40?

No, it can happen much earlier in life. And you never recover.

I heartily agree with Perronnelle's statement of: Teresa Wentzler.

I also recommend these for application in the SCA:

1) The New Carolingian Modelbook - filled with crosstitch & blackwork.
   Many pre-1600 patterns & many created by the author (a scadian) in a
   period style.

2) The Moongate Embroidery Books - Somewhere over a dozen or so books.
   There is a series of books with heraldic animals, flowers, a series
   of books with borders and some others I can't remember right now.

3) There's a couple of series of patterns on Castles. (I can't remember
   the designer, but she's based in Tulsa.) One series is of fantasy
   castles and the other is on real castles. Very nice looking. Almost
   any SCA member would be thrilled to have one of these designs.

Plus a host of other, single issue type charts.

The single, most important, piece of advice I can give is this:

If you see a chart that just absolutely says "I'm for you, Zara Zina"
then buy it at that time, because you will probably never find it again.
And you will keep kicking yourself because you didn't get it.

Estrill Swet
who goes almost nowhere without a project of some kind to work on. My
favorite so far for portability is a cross-stitched Iris. 10,520
stitches. I'm on the third one so far. It all fits in a small canister.