Lion of Ansteorra

dennis grace amazing at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 30 21:42:36 PDT 1997

Greetings, Cosyns,

Lyonel ici.

Hossein Ali Qomi, Lion of Ansteorra, responds to my wife's query with:

>	Traditions may not meet naive standards of "fairness," but they are
>the one thing which tie us to those who built the Kingdom.  <snip>

Sorry.  I have an MA in English; I've studied several other
languages--including French and Latin, the source languages in this
dispute--and I teach Rhetoric and Composition classes (in English).  Can't
say I've ever come across this particular dichotomy before:  standards of
fairness in opposition to tradition constitute "naiveté"?  Moreover, none of
my dictionaries identify "fairness" as antonymous with "tradition."

I would have to suggest to Hossein Ali Qomi that the term "naive" is
ill-chosen and would suggest further reflection upon same.

Incidentally, since we recreate a period that honors written records, I
would suggest that history not only ties us to those who built the kingdom
but ties us more securely thereunto than tradition.

Yours in Virtual Service,

Sir Lyonel Oliver Grace
Dennis Grace
University of Texas at Austin
English Department
Recovering Medievalist
amazing at mail.utexas.edu

The banana is great, but the skin of the banana is greater still.
                                                        -George Orwell